The Uttarakhand capital, Dehradun, is famous for its scenic beauty and laid-back lifestyle. It is a popular tourist destination in the state, but the high price of accommodation here makes it difficult for most tourists to stay for a long time. Living here isn’t as expensive as you think, as most hotels, guest houses and lodges offer decent rates. Since food is a vital part of the culture and lifestyle of the locals, you should also not forget to sample some of their heavenly foods while you are in Dehradun. While Dehradun may not seem like a place on the bohemian food trail, there are many places to find great street food in Dehradun. Don’t worry about the ‘street foods’ part – these aren’t the same as those at traffic lights or footpaths. You can also get some superb deals by ordering with online food delivery in Dehradun.
Click here – 5 Reasons to Apply for Best Home Loan Online
The best foods you can taste while in Dehradun
- Kafuli is a delicious and healthy meal made from a blend of spinach, fenugreek leaves, and grated ginger. It is a popular part of the Pahari culture in Dehradun. It is a vegetarian dish and one of the best ways to eat healthier and get a boost of antioxidants. The best thing about this special Uttarakhand delicacy is that it comes together in minutes and can be served with rice or roti for a complete and sumptuous meal. This simple but delicious meal is commonly served during festivals such as Holi and Diwali when people look forward to relishing the traditional flavours of their state.
- Bhang Ki Chutney is an important part of Pahadi cuisine and is served as an accompaniment to steamed rice. As a part of the delectable North Indian cuisine, this dish is often eaten with Poori, Puri or Dosai, a multi-layered Indian flatbread called roti. The dish is served in different ways depending on the region in which it is purchased or made to suit the taste and preference of the locals. However, it is usually served as a sauce poured over the aforementioned dishes. The Bhang Ki Chutney has a unique taste due to the use of different spices. Different types of spices and condiments give it a unique flavour. The dish is often consumed with the Pahadi food and can also be paired with rotis or pooris. Besides the Pahadi cuisine, the Bhang Ki Chutney can also be an accompaniment to other Indian food like Dosa, Idli, Upma, Samosa, Tandoori roti, Pindi channa and Paratha. It’s a great addition to a meal that you can’t miss out so do try it and when you order food online in Dehradun.
- Phaanu is the traditional favourite dish of the people of Dehradun. It is considered a healthy and nutritious dish. It is consumed primarily with rice. Phaanu is often the most nutritious and healthy food, high in fibre, protein, iron, and vitamins. Now, don’t you think it sounds heavenly? If you are looking for something new and different, then Phaanu will satisfy you. It is believed to have been served on the birthday of Lord Krishna. Remember to try it once!
- Aaloo Tamatar Ka Jhol is a popular and tasty dish in the winter capital of Uttarakhand. This rice and vegetable curry is prepared in just a few minutes but tastes good. There are many variations of this dish, but the essential ingredients are onions, tomatoes, and potatoes. This recipe also calls for some basic spices, like turmeric, cumin, and coriander, but it can be varied according to your taste buds and spice preference. The tomatoes and onions add great colour and aroma to the curry.
- The term kandalee ka saag is used for a dish prepared using leafy vegetables and is extensively used in Dehradun. It is a must-try if you are down to earth and love the soil. The important steps include taking care of the ingredients, ensuring that the vegetables are stored well, soaking them in water overnight and cooking them well. Also, when it comes to seasoning, you can make a little difference by using the fresher herbs available in the region.
- Dubuk – Dehradun is a land of alluring diversity, and its collective culture is imbued with an abundance of rich traditions. One of the most popular foods in the state is called Dubuk. The small, round, sweet yam-like tuber is steamed and then indulged in a thick batter of rice and jaggery. Once it is cooked, it is served with fresh vegetables, chicken, or mutton in a savoury gravy.
- Aaloo Gutook, is a popular North Indian savoury dish made out of steamed potatoes served with red chilli-coriander chutney. The veggies are finely chopped and cooked in a thick gravy made of boiled potatoes, tomatoes, onion, ginger-garlic paste, coriander leaves, red chilli powder, and turmeric. The chutney is prepared with yogurt, tamarind, and lemon juice. The dish is best when served with Puris.
- Kumaoni Raita is a popular dish in Uttarakhand, especially the Kumaon region. It requires curd, lemon juice, and salt. Take a pot and add curd to it. Break it with a spoon and make it into a uniform consistency. Add a few drops of lemon juice and mix it well. Add salt to it to taste. Let it sit for about half an hour before serving it with your meal. This will bring out the best flavours of the ingredients used. Kumaon Raitas are found throughout the year.
- Gulgula is a special dish shared by our grandmothers and mothers. Gulgula is prepared using very basic ingredients like jaggery, cardamom, and almonds. With the passage of time, variations of gulgula have been developed. The dish can be prepared by using different types of nuts and fruits.
- Arsa is a traditional dish among the people of Uttarakhand. It is a popular snack among the people of Uttarakhand. It is a delicious sweet dish. This sweet dish is made using milk and the simple ingredients of sugar, ghee, and cardamom. The dish is famous for its delicate aroma and flavour. It is usually made at home for bonding among family members. It is a perfect dish for winter as it helps to ward off the chill.
Summary: You can order delicious food online with Swiggy. Whether you are a foodie or want to try something new while out and about in Dehradun, Swiggy has plenty of options to suit your needs. You can also browse all the options available on websites and make your choice. These services work from any device and is easy to use. You can also pay for your order online and get a delivery notification. You can easily order your food online in dehradun and make sure your order is delivered on time. Whether looking for a quick bite while out and about in Dehradun, you’ll find the perfect option at these food delivery websites or apps.
Click here – How To Wear White Tie Attire?
Read more: 5 Simple Recipes for You to Enjoy Dehradun-style Home-Cooked Food